School Enrollment

Open Enrollment Instructions

Home > About Us > District Information > School Enrollment > Open Enrollment Instructions

Ohio law, along with the Franklin Local Board of Education board policy, allows parents/guardians to enroll their children in a school within the Franklin Local School District rather than their district of residence by completing an open enrollment application and being approved by the incoming district. Board Policy also provides for Intradistrict open enrollment, which allows students to attend buildings of their choice within the Franklin Local School District, provided space is available.

Open Enrollment Application Information

Forms must be filed with the Franklin Local School District, between March 1 and June 30 of the school year preceding the school year for which open enrollment is filed. Please fill out a form for each child.

Intradistrict Application

For current transferring students.

View Application

Interdistrict Application

For prospective students of Franklin Local

View Application

Open Enrollment Application Information

Open enrollment applications are filled on a first-come, first serve basis, according to space. New students having siblings already in the Franklin Local School District will have preference over other new students, but will have applications approved in the same manner as other students. Families may make arrangements to meet a Franklin Local School bus at specific bus stops. High school students who transfer school districts through open enrollment must follow Ohio High School Athletic Association (OHSAA) rules for participating on athletic teams. Typically, athletic eligibility is determined by the school in which the student is attending during their 9th grade year. OHSAA rules for transfer and athletic eligibility are very specific and must be followed by law.

Open Enrollment FAQs

What is Open Enrollment?

A parent or guardian residing in an Ohio school district may enroll their child in a school in the Franklin Local School District without paying tuition, provided they comply with open enrollment deadlines and procedures and their student is accepted by the Franklin Local School District. This is called Interdistrict open enrollment. Intradistrict open enrollment involves students attending buildings within our school district, other than the building in their assigned residential area. Forms must be completed and approved for both Intradistrict open enrollment and Interdistrict open enrollment.

What are my responsibilities as a parent/guardian?

  1. If you move from the school district you currently live in during the term of the open enrollment, it is your responsibility to notify the Franklin Local School District.
  2. Approval for one child in a family does not guarantee approval for younger children in the same family. Each child in a family must have an open enrollment request filed for him/her.
  3. High school pupils who transfer from one school district to another under open enrollment may lose athletic eligibility. For questions on athletic eligibility, please refer to the Ohio High School Athletic Association’s website,, or call the OHSAA at 614-267-2502.
  4. Parents are responsible for transportation to and from school. After students are approved for open enrollment, arrangements to meet a bus at a predetermined stop may be arranged through the transportation department at 740-674-5213.

Can I choose which school my child will attend?

You may indicate your choice of school. Every effort is made to place students in their school of first choice, while maintaining balanced class sizes. If the building you choose is too full in your child’s grade, you may be offered open enrollment in the other school in our district that has classes in your child’s grade level.

Do I need to re-apply for Open Enrollment each year?

Yes, You may request an open enrollment application from our school district’s administration office or print one from the Applications above.

Do I need to re-apply if I move?

Yes, you must file for open enrollment promptly after your move, or you may be denied.

Will the district provide transportation for my student?

Transportation is provided only within the Franklin Local School District or at our district’s designated bus stops. Please contact our Transportation department at 740.674.5213 for more information.

Is there any cost involved?

There is no tuition charge for open enrolled children. However, parents are responsible for any and all miscellaneous fees for participation in courses, classes, or activities, the same as resident students are expected to pay.

Contact Information

Administration Office

360 Cedar Street
Duncan Falls, OH 43734


Mon – Fri 8:00A.M. – 4:00P.M.

Social Info